Wednesday 26 January 2011

Planning a Read In

The announced planned closure of York Gardens Library was a real shock to me. It may not always be the busiest library in the area (after all it is the smallest) but neither is it a failing branch. More importantly, it is the only place where people in the area can gather- something which may not always be reflected in the statistics that are quoted by Wandsworth Council.

Since the announcement I have been campaigning against the closure by attending the consultation meetings, filling in the public survey (http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/file/3892/consultation_survey) and even learning how to use twitter to spread the news from across the library world as well as articles linking to cuts for public funding.

I'm now part of a team organising a 'read-in' at the library on the 5th February which will hopefully tie in with a day of national campaigning (http://www.voicesforthelibrary.org.uk/wordpress/?p=780) and thought I should add to my education by learning how to make a blog. This is where I'll be able to announce more details about the read-in and give reasons for the library not to be closed- all in more than 140 characters! There's already a much more polished looking website at http://saveyorkgardens.com/ which has some excellent articles but I wanted to create a webspace without any political affiliations.
Let me know what you think and I'll hopefully see you at the library on 5th February.

No comments:

Post a Comment